Skills Maintenance (Proficiencies)
Annual Skills Maintenance Check
Surf Life Saving Clubs are responsible for ensuring that their members maintain their skills to the minimum standard set by Surf Life Saving Australia. The guiding principle for skills maintenance is that clubs must be able to meet their service level agreements with confidence in the lifesaving skills and abilities of their active patrolling members.
Skills maintenance checks are necessary to:
- Ensure ongoing competency of members in their area of training and activities
- Maintain the standards of knowledge and expertise of surf life savers
- Satisfy legal and statutory requirements
- Reinforce and maintain our service commitment to the bathing and beach going community
A member’s proficiency is valid until the 31st December each year unless stated otherwise in Surfguard or via Circular (e.g. Apply First Aid has a three year proficiency requirement).
This means that any members who is not proficient by 31st December, or has not completed appropriate awards shall not be allowed to:
- Perform Patrols
- Operate rescue craft or
- Compete in surf life saving competitions
When a skills maintenance check is successfully completed (or a member gains a relevant award after 30th June, in a particular year) the proficiency or qualification is current until 31st December in the following season.
The following Surf Club Members have been appointed by the Committee to act as authorised delegates for the assessment of Skills Maintenance. This is in addition to the currently endorsed Assessors in the Surf Club:
|Member Name||Award(s) Authorised|
|Kevin Ryan||IRB Crew|
|Paul Sparks||Bronze, ART, Spinal, IRB Crew|
|Manuel Schuldt||Bronze, ART, Spinal, IRB Crew|
|Simon Cunliffe||Bronze, ART, IRB Crew|
Online modules have been developed to complement the practical components of some skills maintenance components and have been released under the Surf Life Saving eLearning Portal.
To access these resources:
- Go to https://portal.sls.com.au
- Login or Create an account
- Once Logged in, select Lifesaving Online
- Select the Courses tab
- Click on Go to Online Learning now
- The eLearning Components are titled: SKILLS MAINTENANCE Powercraft, Resuscitation, Signals, Radio
- Please complete these components prior to attending the Proficiency day.